For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Uncle Ken, squirrel hunting, Moonshine and stolen timber

I got home from my cabin this afternoon after being there since Friday night.
I had been looking foward to this holiday weekend as it was the first since squirrel season cam in this past Thursday. My family has always hunted on Labor day weekend as far back as I can remember. And at one time when I was a kid , several Uncles and cousins, my grandpa Patton and my dad, it was like a family reunion. But this year it was Uncle Ken and I only. Uncle Ken is seventy two years old and he does not see well or is able to do much walking. So Saturday he and I jumped in my old pickup put it in four wheel drive and rode to the top of the Ridge and parked within  about thitrty yards of the Hickory grove. The Hickory grove was silent as a cemetary we found no sign of  squirrel's. We had gone about twenty yards into the grove and Uncle Ken had to rest so we sat down on a blown over Hickory tree. As we sat resting and talking a gray blundered upon us and I shot and strung him on my belt. We sat there talking about hunts from years past and the good times. After about twenty minutes he was rested and wanted to walk out on the point and check out some Walnut trees where we have always bagged some in years gone by.Just as we were nearing the point I heard a squirrel cutting on a nut, Uncle Ken said go ahead Beach I am going to sit and rest. I worked my way thru the underbrush and found my quarry there was four squirrel's in a slick bark Hickory eating what we Appalachian Americans call pig nuts. I killed one as it came down the tree, but that was all I managed as the other three never permitted me a good shot, and I wanted to get back to Uncle Ken. When I did he was sitting resting and aked me what they were eating , as he said I never heard them or seen anything. His shirt was soaked with sweat and I could tell he was very tired, I said Uncle Ken let us get out of here and I will buy us some breakfast, OK Beach he said. We got back to the truck and I helped him in, and drove back down the mountain, cleaned our squirrel's and I gave them to him. he said I will cook and make gravy on them tomorrow. After we ate he wanted to go home and get a shower and stretch out on the couch. I went back up to my little farm as I had work to do and the whole time Uncle Ken was on my mind, of all the hunts I been on in my life this has been the most special, as it may have been my last with my Uncle, and my best friend.
I got back to my little farm that afternoon, which is only about a mile the way the crow flies from Uncle Ken's and went to work. I had climb on tractor and start bush hogging the field's around the place. I only do this once a year and it seems it always is the hottest day in which I choose to do this.
it took me about five and a half hours to get just over half of it done. I quit about six and took a cool shower and went to Town for supper. After supper I got back to the farm , took a very nice Kristoff cigar of my desk , and a pint of Moonshine out of the fridge and walked out my my pond , sat down at the picnic table and lit my cigar , and sipped my Moonshine from a mason jar while looking over the fresh mowed fields. What a sight for a Applachian American a orange sky hanging over a woods. green fields and a pond with a ripple in the water a Bass just gulped down his supper.
I got up Sunday morning just after five am made a pot of coffee and sat on the porch waiting on the sun to paint the sky once again. It was a lot cooler this morning than it was yesterday and I decided at about six thirty am to check out my woods, to see what the squirrels were eating. It did noy take long I was in the woods about five minutes and found a slick bark hickory with four squirrel's riding the top out of it. I managed to get two of the four and thought to myself son you are getting old you should of had all four. I thought man this is going to be a good day I never seen another squirrel that morning.
As I neared the end of my property I noticed a lot more sunlight coming thru the woods canopy, and thought ut oh something's wrong, and I was right it seems my nieghbor sold some of his timber and in the process got on my land with the skidder and made me a nice road with three  foot deep trenches and six maybe seven Oak trees about three foot in diamator cut and gone. I hope I am wrong, I will get Unlce Ken up to look at next weekend has he knows the property line better than I. I hope I am wrong I hate to think that the timber cutter would risk so much for a couple of trees. Tree's that I have so many squirrel's out of thru the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment