For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kenny Ray sharpshooter

The Little boy limited out Saturday with two pheasants at the youth hunt put on by Greene county fish and game. Lester went out with me to see the club and watch Kenny Ray. I have to say that the Little boy is a very good shot a chip off the old block. He comes from a long line of excellent shooters. Although he should be a good shot he has been shooting since he was two years old. I had took a day off from work I on November nineteen of 1999 and as I was leaving the house in all of my camo, I went to kiss him good-bye he asked “daddy where are you going”? I said son daddy is going to go deer hunting today.
He then asked “ daddy can I go with you”? I said yes if you want to, and his mother started crying. I said Tari what is wrong and she said I knew you would get him someday but I did not think it would be this soon. She wiped away the tears and helped get him dressed in his camo we kissed her good bye.
It was a beautiful fall day the temperature was in the seventies and when I got down to Uncle Kens, dad and Ken where surprised to see us. And they asked what are planning on doing and Kenny Ray said we are going deer hunting. Dad looked at me I told him I think we will just get in the woods and walk around for a while and just enjoy the day. Dad then told me to go in and get the Slip O {uncle Kens twenty gauge shotgun} and we will let Kenny Ray shot some. I hesitantly said ok So the three of us started into the wood s and up the ridge when we got on this little bench we stopped to rest and Kenny Ray put is toy binoculars to his eyes and looked around. Dad said son lets him shoot. I loaded the Slip O and asked Kenny Ray “do you want to shoot”? He quickly answered yes. So I bent down and held the gun and showed him how to hold where the trigger was. And with that he squeezed the trigger and the gun went off. I was nervous as he did not like loud noises but as soon as the gun went off his little blonde head swung around to me and asked shoot again daddy. He shot the Slip O three time’s that afternoon and the tree of us walked around the woods just talking. It was one of the best hunts I have ever had.
I have a picture in a shadow box frame in my trophy room of Dad and Kenny Ray holding the Slip O and the three spent shotgun shells at the bottom of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment