For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hogs head for supper

My grandfather Brewer told a story to my Uncle Ken that he has told to me several times thru the years but I have forgotten their names. And when I asked him recently about the story he has now forgotten their names but said the story is very true. The story takes place back in the nineteen twenties. Three friends were out drinking and has it was getting close to suppertime. One friend invited the other two to his house for supper.
When they arrived at his and went into the kitchen for supper and sat down at the table.
They were passing the jug around and laughing and having a good time. About then the wife started bring in supper and the last thing she brought in was a plate with a large cooked hogs head. The two guest swallowed hard and began to refuse his hospitality, they said man we cannot eat that thing. He said yes you can and got up from the table and walked into the other room. As he walked backed into kitchen he thumb cocked and old double barrel shotgun and pointed it at both men. He said you will eat it or die. I am told they ate every bite of that head. Now am told that hogs head is good as my grandma used to fix it as well as my Uncle Arnold. But I can honestly say I have never had the pleasure of this Appalachian delicacy, nor am I looking forward to it anytime soon, unless I am looking down the barrel of a thumb cocked shotgun in the hands of a insulted drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment