For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Two candy bar onion

Lester, Kenny Ray and I had supper with Uncle Ken Wednesday evening. He fixed soup beans and cornbread with fried potatoes and a two-candy bar onion. What is a two-candy bar onion you ask? Well it is a strong yellow onion that takes two candy bars to kill the taste of the onion. As I was sitting at the table the table I have sat at for so many Saturday evenings after hunting all day with Uncle Ken and sometimes Dad and Lester either squirrel or rabbit hunting. And this is the way it was for every Saturday from the first of September till rabbit season went out at the end of February, either white beans or pinto beans cooked with ham. And like I said after eating raw onion with these dinners Lester and I would stop at the store to get a cold soda and two candy bars each, that event took place for over ten years. We even burnt out Uncle Ken’s granddaughter from eating soup beans. As I was sitting there waiting on the cornbread to finish seems I am all ways waiting on the bread to finish. As we ate the food of kings and I mean kings of the Appalachia, to me they are better than any steak or caviar. The stories of old began to flow; Kenny Ray listened to every word of each story just as I always have. From the time of when I was his age until now. The funny thing is I bought a small digital recorder to record Uncle Ken when he starts telling the stories of which I forgot on my desk at the cabin. I am afraid that I might forget one of them as remember one almost every time I write, and every time I am with a family member a new one come back into my memory.
But of the one’s told on this night none are better than the memory of a little table with a plate of fried potatoes, cornbread, soup beans and a two candy bar onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment