For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Jester hill panther

When I was a kid I was told about a panther that roamed the hills of Kentucky, now I never seen it or know of anyone that actually did. But nonetheless the stories have been told now I know it was not a panther but it was something, as I know the stories are based on something seen but unexplained. I now have a panther of my own on the farm. It started about three or four weeks ago. Lester was squirrel hunting just below the cabin in some heavy underbrush when he seen it and asked me what I thought it was. He described it as dark in color with a white tail and stomach, and about the size of a medium dog. I guessed it was possibly a bobcat. I did not think much more about it until this past weekend. On Thursday night as Kenny Ray and I pulled on to the lane to the cabin, it was about nine thirty a animal crossed the gravel road in front of us, it happened so fast that I asked Kenny Ray did you see that? What was it? He said I think it was a house cat. I said no although it moved like a cat it was too big for a housecat. Then on Saturday afternoon I was working on my tractor out by the pond. I was bent over adjusting the carburetor when I raised up I got a glimpse of it again. It was black and about the size of a medium dog but very limber in its movement like a cat. It must have been as startled as I was, as it seemed to turn it’s self in midair and went back over the hill. I moved over to the woods trying to see if I could make out what it was, but I was not quick enough. I think it might be the fox Kenny Ray and I seen back in the spring as it was all but its front shoulders, but what Lester seen had a white stomach and tail, so I am not sure. I think I will put up my trail camera and fill up some feeders to see if I can solve my panther mystery before the legend grows into the panther of Jester hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment