For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A kiss for you Bug

I have so many stories that I have written and a lot more that need written. Then I have to decide which one’s should I write. I keep a list of title’s and notes for each one, and I as remember other one's I scratch a note on something so I will not forget it. I have thought allot about my grandpa Patton lately. He was a true character if there ever was one. He was a big man over six foot and about two hundred and thirty five pounds with big-callused hands and a great sense of humor and a boisterous laugh. He was a war hero who saved a man’s life but I never heard ever talk about the war. I can still see him walking the farm lane with hat on head and whistling or singing “ ruby don’t take your love to town”. He had a nickname for everyone my sister Lisa was crying tom, I have two girl cousins there names where big rump and round rump. My grandma’s nickname was Bug. He called my dad 'Myrtle’s son in law.' My dad always got a big chuckle telling me the story about it. My grandfather was against my mom and dad getting married and in fact never attended the wedding. And when people would ask him about my dad he always told them that he was not his son in law but Myrtle’s {my grandma]. Finally after several years had passed he and dad was a man’s house looking at some coonhounds and my grandpa-introduced dad as his son in law. My dad with his sense humor answered no Robert I am Myrtle’s son in law. It embarrassed grandpa a little as he did know that dad knew about it.
Then there are little things that I remember like my lunch box that I carry. Grandpa gave it to me when I started working, I was seventeen years old. He had used it on his job with the Kentucky highway department. He said Branson here I want you to have this bucket to carry your dinner in from home as it will help save a few coins. I am forty-six years old and I still carry that same lunch bucket. I also use my grandparent’s pressure canner that they bought sometime in the fifties I use it every year to can with.
But there are three sayings that are used around my house by Kenny Ray and Tari as well as myself. They always bring a smile to our faces no matter what the situation, and neither Tari nor Kenny Ray ever met him. The first one is what is said after we tear the house apart looking for something and usually after one of us gets angry. Some one will holler, “ by god it’s in the wardrobe Bug”. That is what always transpired when my grandparents where looking for something. The wardrobe was like a freestanding closet a piece of furniture. So when you cannot find something look in the wardrobe Bug. As it always lightens the mood.
The second was a phrase that he said just one time that I recall. It was in the wintertime and my grandma was always cold and keeps the house fairly warm. This particular day the house was comfortable but grandma cam in and put another piece of coal in the stove. And as she was closing the stove door and opening the dampers. he reached down and grabbed his hat threw it on his head and stormed out
The door hollering “ buzzard sweat, man sweat summer and winter to”. So whenever a room gets to hot at my house you will hear the famous words buzzard sweat.
This last phrase my mother wished I would not write about but I have to. It always brings a smile to my families face. The phrase is “here is a kiss for you Bug”, but you have to say it after you fart big and loud. so goodnight everyone and hears a kiss for you Bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment