For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Not enough October's in a man's life

October is my most favorite time of year. I read somewhere one time that there are not enough October’s in a mans life, and I adamantly agree. My father’s favorite time of year was the spring; he liked it because everything was fresh with life and green. Now I like the spring as I like all the different seasons. But I am like my mother as fall is best and October is great. The cool nights and the warm days, the first fire of the season and the smell of wood smoke on a cool day. Picking apples and a cup of warm cider. The changing of the leaves from green to yellow and red, I love to be up at my farm when the leaves have changed for their last dance before winter. To me there is no better time to be in the woods than October, to sit in a tree stand in the warm sunshine with a bow and a book, the wonderful smell of the woods that I cannot describe and no sciencetist has been ever to duplicate. I love to watch the squirrels hide their winter supply. The fallen leaves being blown about as they tumble end over end, all my senses are heightened at this time of year. I find it very difficult to keep my mind on work at this time of year, as all I want to do is be in the woods with bow or gun. Even today as I am writing I am sitting under a big red maple at carriage hill farms soaking up the sun and enjoying the sound of the wind thru the trees, the ballet that the fallen leaves are performing is grand, and the smell from the barn and hog lot are wonderful. October to me is a once in a lifetime event and it comes once each year and each year it is different, and each year it could be my last. I hope heaven is twelve moths of Octobers as they are not enough in one mans life.

No comments:

Post a Comment