For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Baptist Fork of the Stillwater creek

This spring has been tough on this old Appalachian American. First Tari found out that she is a diabetic. And in the last month the doctor put me on high blood pressure medicine and then this past Thursday they put me on Diabetes medicine also. It has been a blow to my superman mentality.
But I had a remedy of my already planned, a hunting trip to the garden of Eden, Baptist Fork of the Stillwater creek in Wolfe county Kentucky. There I spent three days hunting for wild turkey and visiting with my family.On Saturday night my Uncle played the guitar's and we sang all the bluegrass gospel favorites.We ate good country food and talked and caught up with each other's lives's. I felt more at home and ease this trip than any other since my grandparents passed away. I want to thank Uncle Bob and Aunt Evelyn for that it really meant a lot to me. On Sunday Uncle Bob came in with a big Gobbler, I did not kill one but I seen eighteen turkey's in three days, just could not get one in gun range. But I had more fun hunting this spring than I have in a long time. Saturday morning five big gobblers came in the bottom I was hunting but just out of my vision until I stepped out of my blind. I drooped down to my belly and spent the next forty minutes crawling over briar's and thru thickets and in the mud in a monsoon rain trying to get in range. I managed to get within about eighty yards before they seen me and hit the woods. I had a blast!!!
I have always enjoyed hunting the Brewer family farm two hundred and twenty six acres
of Appalachian paradise.
I started my recovery Friday morning not just the diabetes medicine but a dose of peace and continment by returning to where my parents and I were born, our roots are deep in the Garden of Eden which is Baptist fork of the Stillwater Creek.
I think I need another dose Of Baptist already, Turkey season is still in for three more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment