For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Coffee, Catfish,and a strawberry smelling hound

Out on the porch with a cup of coffee about six thirty a.m. waiting on the sun to come up as well as listening for a big ole gobbler to give his position away. As the night fades to daylight I decide to go for a walk threw the woods and around the ridge. I was looking for some turkey sign or where some were roosting or possible a shed antler or two, but all I found was spring showing up as the woods where turning green again. Which was a very welcome greeting after such a long cold winter. As I made my way out of the woods I came out by my pond and noticed that some fish were hitting some around the edges. It surprised me a little as I thought the water was still a little cold. So I thought lets find out and I walked back to the cabin and got a mason jar full of fish food and another cup of coffee. I returned to the pond and cast out a hand full of food and sat down on a block of wood and waited for the show to begin. The Bluegills hit the food first, which rang the dinner bell for the big Channel Cats. The water begin to boil from, the feeding, I spent the next thirty minutes feeding the Piranha like catfish. Then my stomach told me I had better get some Breakfast too. I started back to cabin and got The Little Boy and drove down to Uncle Ken’s house to pick him up and take to breakfast with us. After dropping of Uncle Ken and shooting the breeze awhile Kenny Ray and I had to get back to the cabin we had some work to do. My apple trees came in the mail this past week and had to go in the ground, as well as a brush pile had to be burned and just some general clean up. We got the trees planted and half way through the brush burning it began to rain. Kenny Ray made his way to the truck and I tended the fire. When it got down small enough I hollered at the Little Boy to come on and bring his ole stinking dog as we had to go over in the woods and take my deer tree stand down and I wanted to put a trail camera. It was about two o’clock when we returned to the cabin for dinner and just as we walked onto the porch it began to down pour rain, like a tall cow pissing on a flat rock. I then fired up the grill and fixed hotdogs and brats for dinner. After dinner I told Kenny Ray he was going to have to give ole Jack a bath as he was beginning to smell like an outdoor shithouse. So he gave the dog a bath and I went and took a nap while it continued to storm. After I got up the dog was dry and I sat out on the porch with a cup of coffee Kenny Ray said Dad let’s go fishing this evening, which we did. But the Little Boy regretted that as the old man beat him like a drum, four hand size Bluegill to two puny five inch Largemouth bass. We fished to almost dark till we could no longer see our bobber’s. We returned to the cabin, where Kenny Ray laid on the couch and read a book, and I returned to the porch with a fine cigar, a glass of bourbon, some Bluegrass music and a Beagle Hound that smells like strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment