For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Friday, February 5, 2010

The boogie man coon hunts

When I was about 11 years old my dad love to coon hunt . he would take me along sometimes.
On this particular night he took me and my cousin Steve Hatton hunting with him. Steve was just a couple of year's younger than me but he like to go to , as his dad like to coon hunt as well. It was early in the season and it had not got cold yet. we had been out about 4 or five hours before the dogs hit a track and started to run and Steve had begun to get tired and wanted to go home .
Well my dad was not going to call the dogs back until they had treed the coon. Steve started to ask to go back to the truck. Dad kept telling we would leave as soon as the dogs would come back.Steve asked him several times to go , dad finally told him he could go back anytime that he knowed where the car was. Now the car was about a mile from where we were at., but he did know where it was as we had been there several times. So Steve finally got mad and started out for the car. He got about 50 or 60 yards from us and then dad spoke to him he said " Steve you had better watch out for the boggie man" and this stopped Steve in his tracks. He turned walked back and sat down next to dad and never said another word until dad had caught the dogs about an hour later. I still joke with Steve, today about it and its been 30 years since it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment