For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Life long friends

Henry Patton has been my friend since the second grade. It’s a miracle that he still is, but I am glad he is. He is one of the kindest people I have ever known. Now Henry never got in trouble in school a perfect student, till one day in auto body class in our junior year. It was January and about zero outside when I locked him outside and instead of walking around he waited for the door to open. Clinton another boy in class finally opened the door about 45 minutes later, when it opened I seen it and Henry came running through the shop chasing me toward the office. He tackled me right in front of Mr. Asbury’s office door and he had been watching. He opened the door and told Henry to get up and follow him, he then reached down and grabbed me by the ankle and dragged me down the hallway into the principal office and Henry strolling behind. Mr. Whitaker asked what I did and he said I do not know but he did it to Mr. Patton. We both got a weeks in school
suspension and letter mailed to our parent’s. Henry’s dad was waiting on him to get home when the letter came in the mail. He said son what is this letter about, Henry’s reply was simple “that damn Brewer” his dad never said another word about the matter.

When I first started to drive I always usually drove junk, 4 or 5 hundred dollar cars the kind I never left the house without a toolbox. Well for about 6 months I was always need a jump start or be broke down. I would always call Henry for a jump or to come get me, he or his dad always came to help me out. That year for Christmas I received a set of jumper cables from him.
Henry stood up with me when I got married and he put aside a bottle of Jack Daniels for us to share when one had a son. It was in his house when it caught on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment