For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Song of the Whippoorwill / Wicker Bill

When ever I travel back home to Kentucky, there is such a peace that come's over me, that is indescribable.one of the things that really love is to listen the Whippoorwill sing their song. That whip-poor-will whip-poor-will is very relaxing as well as humurous. I think of a story my dad always told me when I was little. About his uncle Wicker Bill, He said now son Wicker never worked a day in his life and that his dad said the Whippoorwill sang about Uncle Wicker. They sing Wicker-Bill
Wicker-Bill won't work never will, Wicker-Bill Wicker-Bill won't work never will.
Dad said grandma would tell them to hush don't say that and they would all laugh.
I was at a funeral a few year's ago back in Campton my home town. I was sitting outside with all the other men listening and telling tales.
When someone said that working hard would make you live longer.Just as quick my uncle E.C. said "now don't give me that Uncle Wicker lived to be a 105 his brother a 109
and they never worked a day in their live''s". I think we all thought about the song of Wicker-Bill Wicker-Bill won't work never will,as we all started laughing. I though in my mind of Grandma telling us to hush.

No comments:

Post a Comment