For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Last day of rabbit season

Yesterday was the last day of rabbit season. Me and ole Jack went out for a couple of hours. It was a beautiful evening the temp was about 34 degrees and no wind and a little sun peeking threw.We had been out of the truck about 10 minutes and Jack struck a hot track. He nevers barks at first but I can tell when he hits a hot track by the way the bell on his collar rings. He follows a 15 or 20 yards before he opens up. It was the same rabbit that we have gotten up every weekend since the first of the year. The rabbit always runs up underneath the neighbors barn, sometimes it.s a 15 minute race and other's 10 depending if we jump toward the west or east. After he went up me and Jack moved on back to some other brush piles. With all the heavy snow some of the cover has collapsed and the rabbits had moved to other cover. I have not carried my gun the last couple of weeks has I want to leave some breeding stock. As we got back toward the end of the property that I have permission I stopped and let Jack work out an area. And I heard in the distance a flock of Canadian geese coming toward me. I scanned the horizon and here they came toward me, in formation and in gun range. I began to think of days I spent with my Uncle Ken and dad and those hunts that we shared. As I began my way back to the truck I hollered at Jack and he came in . At the truck I opened the door Jack jumped in and as i sat down he laid down next to me wet and a little tired. I pet and told him Jack we will come again next Sunday and we will have another race.

No comments:

Post a Comment