For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Man's best friend


I have been around dog’s as far back as I can remember. From Walker coon hounds to Poodles and have enjoyed almost of all of them.My earliest memories are of Walker coon hound pup’s that my mother took care of after their mother died giving birth. She brought them into the house and bottle fed them, now for a 5 or six year old having 7 or 8 puppies in the house is paradise. Everybody should have the pleasure of owning a good dog at some point in their life as I have several great dogs .
Brutie aka Buddy a German Shepard owned by my All summer we kept him and my dad put weight on him as he was now fed good. Well when the summer was over my dad called the man to come and get him but he never did. Now dad was unable to walk out to the garden in the winter time so dad turned him loose to see if he would stay. It was a running debate between and Kenny Ray over the dogs name. Dad Brutie and Kenny Ray Buddy. Brutie brought great joy to all my family. Dad and I needed a dog to guard the garden at the farm to keep deer and coons out of the sweet corn and this guy my dad knew loaned dad this scrawny underfed German shepard and we tied him next to the garden. All summer we kept him and my dad put weight on him as he was now fed good. Well when the summer was over my dad called the man to come and get him but he never did. Now dad was unable to walk out to the garden in the winter time so dad turned him loose to see if he would stay. Kenny Ray was scared that Buddy would run away, but I told him he would not as he had a rough life before coming to the paradise on the hill. Brutie stayed and became a my dad’s best friend, he not only stood guard of the garden but the family also. He took up residence under the front porch of the cabin where met everyone that came to the house as well went going with dad and Kenny Ray every where they did. He had an old basketball that was half deflated that he would carry around and drop at you feet and then look at you and turn his head like he was asking to play ball, we would then kick the ball and he would run after it and bring it back and either tease you with it or drop it again to kick. Brutie walked with my dad every morning to the mailbox and out to the pond to feed the fish , he would sit next to dad and watch with great interest the fish that came to the top of the water to feed. Whenever Kenny Ray and I would camp out in the tents at the farm Buddie would stay with us, I mean stay with Kenny Ray, If Kenny Ray was riding his bike or 4 wheeler Buddy would follow him, even when Kenny Ray would go swimming , Buddy was at the pond it was funny Buddy would pace back and forth several time and test the water with his feet and before you knew he would get in the water but only for a few seconds and then get out and pace. At night when we got into the tent to sleep Buddy would lay down in front of the tent door as protector. One day my father decided he would burn A brush pile for me as I had not got to it yet. As he was burning it the fire got out of control and dad seen he was in trouble and went and got the fire department to come and put it out. The whole time the fire department was there dad said Brutie stayed between him and the fire chief as if to say do not touch this old man. Kenny Ray and I went down to the farm almost every weekend and dad said it was as if Brutie new the days and that Brutie new the sound of my truck because he would get exited when he heard it come up the hill and down the lane he would grab his ball and watch the road. On one Saturday Kenny Ray did not go with me, he had birthday party or something he had to attend and when I pulled up to the house Brutie ran up to the passenger door and when it did not open he ran over to my door, as I got out of the truck he stepped up into the truck looking in both the ft seat and back seat for Kenny Ray and I said I am sorry Brutie he did not come today. He dropped his ball and went up on the porch and laid down. My father was always great with training hunting dogs and never had a dog for a pet until Brurtie he would fry an extra egg or piece of chicken breast and even bake extra biscuit's for Brutie. When Brutie disappeared my father was truly upset as well as Kenny ray. But my father never got over it. I hope Brutie was in Heaven with a ball in mouth, to greet my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment