For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Part 2 Appalachian health care

I had a discussion today about health care with a couple of friends> one of the discussion was about my father as I have mentioned before he passed away last year. I believe that my father was treated for money only and this is why. My father had copd -smokers disease - and had been on oxygen for about 5 years and the last year he was on full time. when he was diagnosed with cancer this June they wanted to check is lungs for cancer. but he had to sign a waiver because his lungs were so brittle they thought he could die when doing the test. The day after the test my father told me and my so n that he was not going to take the chemo treatment that he had lived a full life he was content. The next day he saw the cancer doctor with my sister and this so called doctor told my father that he had a 95 percent chance of survival if he would go through the treatment. Now my father could not walk across the room without struggling to catch is breath. In my opinion this was done just for the money so they could bill medicare , and in the process made his last 3 months miserable. He was even told to stay indoors and out of the sunshine he was afraid to just sit on the porch , he hated being cooped up. The night he died in the hospital he was there about 10 hours I received a bill that was submitted to medicare for 10
thousand dollars, all the did was provide a room and gave him shoots of morphine my sisters and mother and myself tended to his needs. The bill to the cancer doctors as well as misc bills amounted to over one hundred thousands dollars for 3 months, of misery for money.I spoke with one of my aunt"s a few years ago about my uncle and her decision not to have him put in a nursing home. You see she was in her early sixties at the time and the nursing home told her that she would have to turn her house over to them in order to pay for his care.
Well she could not do that as she needed a place to live after he passed away, that was almost 20 years ago.
In our conversation this morning a friend was telling about his mother in law that is in a nursing home now. They sold her house and all the savings her life savings are gone. And the state of Ohio now pays the 5 thousand dollar a month tab. now that is more money than he or I make a month and raise a family on. I told him to move her back into his home and have the state pay him to take care of her. he then told me there are over a hundred rooms in this nursing home and 2 people to a room .
I am further convinced that the Amish and Mennonite are completely right because they take care of there own elderly family member needs and they are exempt from paying medicare as well as social security tax's imagine what a family could do for there own health care needs , if allowed to keep their money as well as getting over their own selfish needs and take back the responsibility of taking care of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment