For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My nephew Matthew and his first hunting season

I was going thru some stories that I written in the past tonight, and I came across this story
written by Matthew my nephew, he and his sister used to live with Tari and I for a couple of years. Matthew was about 12 I believe at the time he wrote this.
First Hunting Season
I first started getting into hunting by going with my uncle Kenny on his hunting trips. We scheduled my hunter safety course for the second week in July. I passed the test with a 100%. That same night we went to All About sports to get my hunting license.The next month was devoted to buying my hunting clothes. On August 24 , 1996 my father came over and gave me something. He gave me his shotgun. It was once his grandfathers. He told me to take good care of it because it was old but in very good condition. It was a single shot shotgun.
My first hunting trip was on labor day weekend to Kentucky. The trip was not to fun or healthy. It was about 6 hours of me inhaling second hand smoke from Ken and Porter. Ken is my uncle's uncle and Porter is my uncle's dad. When we got there it was about two o'clock and Lester was already setting up the tent,Lester is my uncle's cousin.We spent the whole day getting things ready for tomorrow's hunt. I decided to go exploring so I grabbed my 22 rifle and a bog of bullet's and started up the hill.Not to far up I found a pond, so I decided to sit down and find some targets to shoot at. Most of my targets were frogs. I spent the rest of the day at the pond. The next day we got rear early. My uncle and I started up a hill. It did not take long for my uncle to get 4 squirrel's. I did not get anything that day.Porter got 8 , Ken 6, and Lester 3. The next morning I thought to myself if I do see a squirrel I am going to get excited and I am going to miss, I need more than one shot.
My uncle had brought along an over and under shotgun.A lot bigger than my single shot because it was a 12 gauge and the single shot a 20 gauge.So I took the over and under and my uncle and I went back up the hill. My uncle pointed out a squirrel out on a limb of a tree.
I shot and missed but I shot a second time and clipped his back legs, he fell but was not dead. We
looked for him until I spotted him trying to crawl away. I stepped on his tail and crushed his head with the stock of the shotgun. During squirrel season uncle Ken, Lester and his son Tim and I worked on a building a tree house for deer hunting. On the first day of deer gun season My uncle and I sat under a tree and Lester sat in the tree house. That morning Lester got his deer.
The second day came and started out dull. Nothing was seen that morning, but in the evening, we went somewhere different on the other side of the hill. That's where I killed my deer. I was getting bored not seeing anything when all of a sudden I seen a deer. I picked up on him and waited and fired. He jumped in the air and turned around as he ran I pulled up on him again and fired, he fell. When I got down where the deer was my uncle said where was you aiming at. I told him I was not paying any attention the first time I shot but the second time I was aiming for his head. He said the first time I shot I hit him in the ass and the second shot was in his eye. Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that my uncle bought me a new shotgun last month a Remington 870
pump shotgun with a slug barrel and that is what I shot him with. My next hunting trip was rabbit hunting on a farm. The first day I put a little heat on my uncle. You see I had already got a rabbit and my uncle didn't. Well my uncle was down hill and I was uphill. I seen the rabbit before it jumped but did not shoot because I was not a 100% sure. the rabbit jumped from a brush pile and went straight toward my uncle. IT got a little pats him as my uncle was pulling up I shot first and that threw my uncle off and I missed it to. but he finally got when the dogs brought it back around. But I got at least one rabbit every weekend when my uncle and I hunted, and that was my first hunting season.



No comments:

Post a Comment