For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Child safety and Big game hunting.

Last night Kenny Ray started shooting in a archery league. He did pretty good for his
first night and considering he has only been shooting for about a week.Out of a possible 300 score he shot a 197. We had a very good time walking the 30 3D decoy set, discussing different hunting techniques and shots as well as me laughing at his misses. It seems though when ever some one was watching beside me he always managed
a good dead center shot.As we finished he again said dad you need to bring your bow and shoot with me.I said son it brings me greater pleasure watching you. Little does he know all in all he his a lot better with a bow and arrow than I ever was, he might hurt himself laughing at me so it is my duty as a parent to protect him from injury.
As Kenny Ray and I came in the house tonight I asked him to spray the lawn down with the water hose. He asked why, and I told him we were going to hunt night crawler's tonight. They are now selling for $2.85 a dozen and we used 3 dozen last week.When I was a kid we never paid for worms we always caught them ourselves. Big Ron and Little Ron and myself would grab flashlights and a coffee can and have as much fun catching night crawlers as we did fishing with them, especially when could catch them 2 at time when they were mating and all slimmed up together.A couple of years ago when I was a Cub scout leader I held a meeting at my house at about 10 pm. I could not believe that the boys as well as parents had never been night crawler hunting. It was a fun filled evening with about 10 boys with flashlights and a can
and some of them screamed like a girls as they touched a night crawler for the first time. I often think about what boys miss out on today little things that build memories as well as life long friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment