For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Race to winter with a new winner

Today is the day I aways dread, the first day of summer, the longest day of the year. Why you ask? Well everyday after today starts getting shorter as we begin our journey back to winter. Now I enjoy the part of winter where I can hunt, or spend a Sunday in front of the fire reading or writing,but the cold seems to bother me more or maybe it's the lack of sunshine. Sunshine is a wonderful thing and I believe the best medicine for what ale's a body. I have been sick for the last week with a cold I believe or it could be sinus, but a lot of drainage and it seems to have settled in my chest. When I am inside with the air conditioner I seem to really clog up. But after a few minutes out in the sunshine I clear up and feel some much better, even , my mom noticed it last week when we picked raspberries. Well back to the shortest day of the year now the race begins to cut enough firewood as well as preserve some food for winter. It always seems like a race to me in which I lose trying to cut wood and can or freeze excess from the garden. and spend time with Kenny Ray. I have thought allot about it , as I have been writing my book this spring about the things I was taught and the memories that I have. Kenny Ray once told me one afternoon why we were working on something I asked him why he was goofing off and not helping me, He said Dad you work to much so it's my duty to goof off extra to make up for you. So starting this race this year Kenny Ray will win this year. I have already in the last 2 weeks been fishing with Him and Tari than I have been In the last 5 years, I am sad to say. I am going to pull my turtle trap break out the gigs, the foothold traps and clean the guns. Kenny Ray's true Appalachian American education and the first chapter to his book will begin a new.

No comments:

Post a Comment