For my son and grandsons

This blog is for future generations to look at and try to understand a way of life that has disappeared in one generation. A life of simplicty and a life of adventure that only
can come from living with nature.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial day

Memorial day brings back allot of memories for me. of when my family always went back to Kentucky to decorate. Everyone of my uncle and aunts cousin's gathered back to the Brewer farm. We would clean off and mow the grave yard and place flowers on the
graves. Then a big dinner served with Fried chicken {my favorite]. the kids would go play and the men would gather on the porch or under a shade tree and tell tale of the past. I would always stay with the men as loved to hear all the tales, many of which I am writing down for Kenny Ray and future generations.My Aunt Carmie tells me about when she was a girl they would travel by horse and wagon over to a place called
Frozen in Breathitt county Ky, where my great grandfather is buried between his 2 wives both of which are named Elizabeth. She tells me how they made flowers out of crate paper and pipe cleaners for the graves. they would have a preaching sometimes there also as well as dinner on the grounds.Uncle Ken and Dad took to me to see the graveyard at Frozen a couple of years ago to see if we could find it. We did it is now surrounded by woods and forgotten. My family no longer get together on decoration day My Aunts and Uncle's are up in their 70's and 80's and all my cousin's
are getting in their late 50's and 60's. and it seems we only get together for a funeral's, Even are numbers are dwindling for these. It seems my Grandmother was the glue that held the family together.

No comments:

Post a Comment